Monday 18 October 2010

Fantastic Glass from our latest Workshop






We had some extremely creative people here on our latest Kiln Formed Glass Workshop a few weeks back and a new Tutor, Gloria MacArthur.
Gloria is an old friend who has been working with glass for about 5 years and she brought a whole new dimension to my own knowledge on this subject. Gloria works mainly with "frit" to produce some stunning, rather painterly effects. It was wonderful to play with all her materials in addition to my own and to learn some new techniques and different principles.
Glass is such a fantastic, experimental material that we were each able to follow our own creative pathways and produce some very special pieces.
All the firings went well and our experiments were most enlightening.
Of particular note were Angela's Celtic Cross (incredible) and my own personal favourite was Julie's square dish. She wanted to achieve a "strata" effect and I hope you agree that she's done that. For a first piece I think it is amazing.
Julie is completely enthralled with the material and is definitely buying a kiln of her own and another of our participants, Anne, has told me she now feels more confident to get going with the kiln she had already purchased.
A fabulous couple of days. I've had very complimentary feedback from all participants who thoroughly appreciated the lovely lunches made by my husband Christopher - and they enjoyed my cakes too.
The pictures I've featured here are of the kiln stacked at the end of day one for an overnight firing, some of the lovely larger pieces made on day two and some of the small dichroic jewellery.


No comments:

Post a Comment